Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Best Ever Banana Bread







Oh my goodness! This is a yummy bread! I first had great banana bread when we were living in P31 at college. We were 'young marrieds' and my sister-in-law made some bread that she said had won her a purple ribbon at 4H. It was moist and tender. Her secret? Buttermilk. 

I got her recipe, but then lost it. She did too. I know. We were young. Then, I spent a long time looking for a similar recipe for a moist, delicious banana bread. When I found this one, I celebrated! It has become a family favorite. Our dear friend Mary makes this and brings it on our family vacation each summer. (Does this mean it is now her recipe??)

BTW, you can cut back on the sugar, if you like. I actually prefer it that way. I think I have even cut it in half, but you will need to see what you prefer.


Best Ever Banana Bread




2 ripe medium bananas mashed
2 eggs
1¾ c unsifted all-purpose flour
1½ c sugar
1 c chopped English walnuts
½ c vegetable oil
½ c buttermilk
½ t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour 9 x 5 loaf pan. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until top is golden brown and splits slightly, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Serve warm.
DO NOT DOUBLE

Joy to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, goodie. I love to hear from you!