Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Foray into Paper Piecing

I have become enamored with paper piecing and on a whim decided to try my hand with this block. The pattern was tiny, so I had to enlarge it (thanks for the help, Papa-lop!) I dug into my stash to give it a go. It was fun!!!


I learned a thing or two. First, you want to be generous with your fabric. More than once I covered the pattern area, but did not have enough fabric for the seam. It is tricky "working backwards" with the pattern on the back side. You end up with a mirror image of your pattern.

I also learned that ripping seams is not that big of a deal. Thankfully, the seams are short.

Lastly, I learned why you have a 'stash'. Red. I need more red.

If you have ever wanted to give paper piecing a try, go for it! It was so fun and not really that hard. And there are several great internet resources to teach you how. Isn't it nice that everyone is so 'sharable'?

Here it is on Flickr.

Joy to you!

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Vickie. You are right in saying that paper piecing is not hard. I love to paper piece. A bit of a fabric waster at times but that's why they make bins for the scraps!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, goodie. I love to hear from you!